Queer Pastor Fighting For Equality in Placer County

In this 4:53 video, reporter Alexa Topacio visits the local Loomis Basin Congregational United Church of Christ, the first church established in Loomis, California, currently led by Pastor Casey Tinnin-Martinez.

Some members of the Rocklin, Sierra College campus are members of this nearby church. Pastor Casey and the congregation have built connections with Sierra College students and faculty and advocate against bigotry, racism, and homophobia. In the video, Topacio, with assistance on second camera from photographer Sanjay Suresh, find out what it is like to be a progressive Christian church in conservative Placer County and how Pastor Casey continues to work for human rights. 

For more information on campus spaces and empowering LGBTIQ students at Sierra College, see Pride Support and Resources. To learn more about bullying, suicide risks and community prevention, see the Trevor Project.  

Reported and Produced by Alexa Topacio

Photo of Alexa Topacio in a grey sweater and black leather coat, she is smiling and has long hair and a blooming tree is behind her.
Alexa Topacio is a Communications major at Sierra College and has a passion for broadcast journalism. She plans to pursue her studies at UC Davis or UC Berkeley to either work in the broadcast industry or in the marketing/public relations field.